Big Ol' Club Sandwich
Big, bold, delicious & vegan. This is the Big Ol' Club Sammy. Served at the former vegan restaurant Grow Your Roots, this is a fun, delicious menu item to bring to your home Brunch table! Usually a club sandwich is made with bacon & chicken or processed, sliced meat. This sandwich replaces both of those with tempeh bacon (get the recipe here) & my marinated crispy, chickeny tofu ! As always, I recommend preparing the marinade the day before and letting the tofu marinate overnight or at least 6-8 hours for ultimate deliciousness.
This baby is stacked with vegan mayo, avocado, tempeh, crispy tofu, lettuce & tomato (or any of your fav sandwich toppings) to make the kind of sandwich 'you gotta squish to get in your mouth' Club sammy! Happy Brunching friends!
TIP If you want to only make 2 sandwiches at a time, the recipe will make four, but you can leave the tofu marinating 2-4 days before you're ready again to complete the steps to make a second batch of sandwiches another day.
Find me on Instagram for any questions you have & of course, tag me in your creations at @melanieboudens !
Big Ol' Club Sandwich
Makes 4 giant Club Sandwiches
Prep time 20 minutes + overnight marinating
Cook Time 20 minutes
For the Crispy Tofu Marinade
- 1 package of Extra Firm Tofu , my favourite brand is La Soyarie found at health food stores & Farmboys in Ontario
- 1/2 Tbsp of dried rosemary
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- 2 tsp of poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetarian chicken stock or vegetable stock
For the Dry Mix Breading
- 3/4 cup of white, all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of granulated garlic (or powder)
- 1 tsp of granulated onion (or powder)
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of celery salt
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 tsp of dried basil
For the 'Egg' Wash
- 2 Tbsp of ground flax
- 1 1/2 cups of water
For the Sandwich
- 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil to fry the sandwich (or you can use a deep fryer too)
- Tempeh Bacon, recipe here , you'll need 4 slices
- 12 slices of bread (1 loaf)
- Vegan mayo of choice
- 1 Ripe avocado, sliced
- 1-2 Fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Leaf lettuce, or any greens of choice , washed and ready to layer!
- First, prepare the tofu marinade to let it sit overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the package, no draining necessary. Slice the tofu into 4 rectangular slabs (in half lengthwise once, then those halves, in half)
- In an 8x8 glass dish, add the tofu slabs in, two pieces will be stacked on top of the first two.
- Then, sprinkle onto the tofu all of the crispy tofu marinade spices, then pour the water over top of the spices. Cover with saran wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight or minimum 6-8 hours.
- Next, prepare the tofu breading. In another 8x8 pan or a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour and all of the spices. Set aside
- Then, in a medium size bowl, whisk the ground flax and water together and let sit to thicken.
- Remove the marinating tofu from the fridge and transfer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpad liner. Pat dry with a piece of paper towel.
- Have the bowl of breading flour ready, with the bowl of flax ready.
- Before breading, In a large pan, heat the oil to medium heat
- While that's heating, take 1 piece of tofu, carefully dip it into the breading bowl and coat all sides.
- Then, dip it into the flax mixture to coat, then back into the flour mixture to evenly coat again. (so flour, flax egg, flour again, then into the oil)
- Transfer it back onto the baking sheet and repeat the same steps with the other 3 pieces of tofu.
* If while you're breading the other pieces of tofu some of the flour absorbs into the tofu, just pat a little extra flour onto the tofu piece to make sure it's still well coated in flour.
- Transfer each breaded tofu piece into the pan with oil, gently. You may only be able to do 2-3 at a time, just don't crowd the pan. Fry on medium heat until crispy and golden brown on one side (about 4-5 minutes), then flip carefully & do the same on the other side. Be sure to let it crisp up on the bottom before flipping, otherwise you'll tear off the breading if it's not completely crisp!
- Once you've fried all pieces of tofu, pop the tempeh into the same pan to heat it up a little.
- While that's heating, start toasting the bread pieces.
- To assemble the sandwiches
On a large cutting board, start with 1 piece of toasted bread, slather on vegan mayo, then layer lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
Then, cut the 1 tempeh piece in half and layer on top of the tomato
Place another piece of toast (with mayo on it) on top of the tempeh layer. Onto that piece you'll add lettuce, sliced avocado and the crispy tofu piece. Then finish off with one last mayo spread piece pf toast on top & put long skewers in the corners if you have them before cutting!
Repeat the steps with the rest of the condiments to make a total of 4 sandwiches!