Curried Coconut Chickpeas
This has been one of my favorite, easy dishes since becoming vegan over ten years ago. I love a good curry dish and this is a simplified one to make any day of the week. It's really good for leftover lunches too! It's best with sweet potato, however you can see in the pictures I've made it with regular russet and white too and it's still delicious! We have also subbed the potato for roasted butternut squash too! PS I found vegan Naan at Dollarama! Score!
Curried Coconut Chickpeas
Makes enough for 4 people
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (white works too if it's all you have)
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, or oil of choice
- 1 Spanish or white onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, or other oil of choice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 " piece (or about 1 Tbsp) of ginger, peeled and minced or grated (or 1 1/2 tsp of dried ginger)
- 1/3 cup of sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped (we've used red peppers instead too when out of sundried tomatoes!)
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 x 398mL cans of coconut milk ( I do one light and one regular)
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp each of sea salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 tsp of ground cardamom
- 2 1/2 tsp of curry powder
- 3 big handfuls of baby spinach or chopped curly kale
- large handful of fresh Cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- 4 servings of basmati white rice, or rice of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the cubed potato onto a parchment line baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper . Roast for 30 minutes
- While that's roasting, you will prepare the rest of the dish. You may want to start cooking the rice now as well.
- In a large pan, add in the coconut oil and heat to medium heat. Add in the onion and cook 3 minutes, then add in the garlic and ginger and cook another 1 minutes.
- To the pan, add in the coconut milk, water, sundried tomatoes, chickpeas and all the spices, bring to a boil, then turn down to low heat and let simmer gently for 15 minutes
- Add in the spinach or kale, let cook another 2-3 minutes, then add the roasted potatoes from the oven to the pan as well and cook another 1 minute to let everything combine
- Dish the cooked rice onto your plate, then scoop the curried dish on top. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and enjoy with vegan Naan bread !
** If your curry thickens too much during cooking, just add another splash of water to it !