Easy Tofu Feta
The first vegan cheese I ever created (almost ten years ago) at home on my own was Cashew Parmesan. This one was the second kind! It is one of the easiest recipes I have in my collection! It doesn't take much time and you can use the 'cheese' in so many different recipes as you wish!
yields 2-3 cups of 'feta'
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook time none / needs to set in fridge
- 1 block of firm tofu (not silken!), pressed *
- 5 tsp of fresh lemon juice (or bottled, no one cares)
- 1 TBSP of sea salt (sounds like a lot, but traditionally Feta cheese is salty!)
- 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of melted, room temperature refined coconut oil ( you can use virgin coconut oil instead, but it will leave a slight coconut taste in the feta, whereas refined won't)
*press your tofu in a tofu press, or wrap it with a clean tea towel or a few layers of paper towel, place it on a plate or cutting board, and place something heavy on top for 15 minutes (like a stack of cookbooks!)
Once you have pressed your tofu, crumble it into chunks in a food processor. Add in all of the remaining ingredients. Process on high until the tofu becomes smooth (it will still have texture), about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides halfway through or as needed
Transfer into a glass dish and smooth the top out. Cover with a lid or saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Crumble onto whatever you'd like or use in recipes to replace dairy/goat Feta!
Will keep 5 days in the fridge !