One Dish Mediterranean Tofu
One dish meals really are the bees knees, amiright?! This dish is full of flavor, only takes 15 minutes to prepare (then bake), and can even be made the morning of or evening before!
The next best part is that you can adjust the veggies/toppings to your own liking. Add some thinly sliced onions, or some roasted red peppers, or even omit the olives if you aren't a fan.
Depending on the size of tofu you buy and how you cut it, you can fit 1 package to 1 and a half packages of tofu.
It goes really well with my Easy Tofu Feta recipe, which you can find here
I liked to have my on a bed of greens with some turmeric rice and maybe a little drizzle of a creamy dressing on top! It's got the nutrition to be a main alongside a salad and/or grain to make a nice hearty meal! Try adding some vegan Parmesan on top too - my favorite is Earth Island brand! ENJOY ! PS it's automatically gluten free, wheat free & nut free!
If you want a video guide for this dish you can find it under my highlights on my Instagram page here
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 1-1 1/2 blocks of tofu, pressed**
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (appox. 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup of vegan basil pesto
- 1/4 cup of sliced Kalamata olives
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
- handful of sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- optional, vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 (if you're making this ahead of time don't do this yet)
- Cut your tofu into small diamond shapes - slice the block 3 times vertically, then in half, then each half into diamonds. (you can do bricks instead too if you choose)
- Pour the oil on the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish, then add the lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, oregano and parsley, stir to combine
- Place your tofu pieces into the dish on top of the oil mixture
- Evenly spread the pesto on top of the tofu pieces using the back of a spoon or a small spatula
- Spread evenly your cherry tomatoes, olives, sundried tomatoes and any other veg you're using on top of the pesto layer
- Cover with tinfoil, then bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the tinfoil ( add the cheese on top now if you want it) and bake another 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have blistered and everything has a light golden colour to it ,
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving onto your plate, use a spatula to remove the tofu gently
- If you're making this ahead of time, cover with saran wrap and put in the fridge until ready to bake
**To press tofu, wrap your block of tofu in a few layers of paper towel, or a clean dish towel, place on a plate, then place another plate on top along with something heavy, like a few cookbook. Let sit, weighted for about 10 minutes.
** You can find dairy free/vegan pesto at most grocery stores or health food grocery stores