The Famous Loaded TLT
I almost feel like this TLT needs no introduction. It was the #1 selling sandwich since day 1 at Grow Your Roots (alongside the Mel's Fav of course).
If you're all going to carry on the TLT legend from GYR, listen up and read everything carefully. Don't mess this up or I'll come for you!
Think BLT but marinated Tempeh Bacun instead, and loaded with the addition of avocado and micro greens (or sprouts).
The KEY to getting your tempeh to taste like the best tempeh bacun EVER, is marinating it for a long time. So don't even think about cutting corners and not marinating it for long enough! It must be marinated overnight or 12 hours is really best. Then, we bake it in the oven in the extra marinade juice and then best seared with a bit of oil on a cast iron pan to reheat or serve (a regular pan will work too).
I find the brand of tempeh really makes a difference too, which is why I always choose Noble Bean Tempeh. It's a local. organic company from Quebec and their tempeh is hands down the best, in my opinion. If you can't find the brand I recommend, than other brands to use would be Lightlife tempeh or Henry's Tempeh (both can be found locally to Ottawa).
Finally, your sandwich layers MATTER. I'm not messing around here people, there's a reason why we were known for the BEST TLT in the city! Before assembling, read my instructions on how to build your sammie!
Staff favorite addition to the TLT at the restaurant was always a few sliced dill pickles! Try it!
Let's say it one more time ....MARINATE YOUR TEMPEH OVERNIGHT !!!!!!!
Tempeh Bacun + Loaded TLT's
Makes 12 slices of tempeh bacun + your desired amount of sandwiches
Prep time 10 minutes + overnight marinating
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 240 gram package of tempeh
(Original Noble Bean recommended)
- 2/3 cups of Bragg's Soy sauce
- 4 1/2 TBSP of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 3/4 tsp of ground cumin
For the sandwiches
- Fresh bread, sliced
- Ripe avocado
- Vegannaise Vegan Mayo
- Sliced fresh tomato
- Microgreens or sprouts
- Leaf lettuce
- First, let's cut the tempeh. Start with cutting the block of tempeh in half, then those halves in half. Now you'll have 4 thick chunks. Flip those chunks on their side, and cut each chunk into three's, leaving you with thinner slices of 'bacun'. Do the same with the other chunks to get 12 slices of tempeh bacun
- Place your tempeh into a square baking dish (8x8 is a good size), making sure it's not too big that the marinate won't cover all the pieces. Set aside the tempeh
- In a glass 2 cup measuring cup, or a small bowl. Measure out all of the marinade ingredients ad add them together, then whisk well to combine
- Pour the marinade over top of the tempeh slices, making sure that they're all sitting in the actual marinade. Cover with saran wrap and REFRIDGERATE OVERNIGHT!!!!!!!
- After marinating, preheat the oven to 325
- Transfer the tempeh slices onto a parchment lined baking tray and spread out evenly to bake. Pour the remaining marinade over top of the slices
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until most of the marinade has absorbed
- To prepare your tempeh bacun for your sandwiches, heat a cast iron pan to medium heat with a bit of oil. Fry the slices for 3 minutes on each side, just to reheat through and get a light sear on them
- remove from the heat to then assemble the sandwiches
Start with beautiful fresh slices of bread. I'm not talking about the crappy grocery store bread. Walk or drive your ass down to your local bakery and get a fresh loaf! And then toast it, lightly
Lather your fresh, lightly toasted bread in a thick layer of Vegannaise Vegan mayo (both sides, don't skimp)
Then, some fresh crispy leaf lettuce
Then, slices of ripe avocado
Then, thin slices of fresh tomato (don't you dare use that wrinkly tomato you have on the counter)
THEN your delicious, perfect Tempeh Bacun
And finally, the microgreens
Finished off with your second piece of bread and cut perfectly in half
Now stare at it and marvel how perfect and beautiful it is
Good job, you did it! ENJOY!
AND TAG ME ON INSTA SO I CAN SEE YOUR CREATIONS!!!