The Mel's Fav Panino
Since the beginning of GYR Restaurant in 2016 this was our number 2 seller! Number 1 was the Loaded TLT ! This Panino is simple, but the flavors pair so perfectly together that it makes an amazing sandwich, whether you're vegan or not.
If you ever enjoyed one of our Panini at the restaurant, than you know that the Focaccia it was prepared on really made the sandwich. We bought our Focaccia from Nat's Bread Co. in Ottawa and now YOU can order some to make your perfect Panino too here . Their Focaccia is vegan, as is a lot of their incredible breads. I highly recommend the sourdough and the wholegrain breads!
Now, the recipe below does not include the Cashew Mozzarella, however it's equally delicious with any meltable Vegan Mozzarella. I'd recommend getting locally made Mad Faux Cheese Mozz if you can for it! It's very similar to what we use to make !
There are four important elements that make the Mel's Fav delicious.
1- The Caramelized onions *drool*
2- The Cheese, duh! It must be Mozzarella style!
3- The Rosemary Garlic Mayo
4- The fresh, pillowy Focaccia - don't forget to order it here
*It's okay if you don't have a Panini grill at home! You can make a Panino in a pan too! I'll give the instructions to do this below
*If you want to up your Mel's fav game, add some roasted sweet potatoes to it ;) Get the recipe for those, here
Mel's Fav Panino
For the caramelized onions
Start these first so you can prepare everything else while they're cooking!
- 4 spinach or white onions
- 3 Tbsp of sunflower oil or any vegetable or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- Thinly slice your onions
- Add the oil into a medium size pan and heat to medium heat
- Add in the onions and cook for 10 minutes
- Then, sprinkle on the sugar, mix, and turn the heat to a medium low heat
- Cook the onions until they are dark golden in colour (but not burnt), sweet and caramelized. This will take around 30-35 minutes
*Resist the urge to stir them often! You will only need to stir them once during this process
- Set aside to cool while you prepare everything else
- These will keep in the fridge for up to a week
For the Rosemary Garlic Mayo
Wait 'til you see how easy this is! Feel free to double this recipe so you can put rosemary garlic mayo on everything !
- 1/2 cup of Vegennaise Vegan Mayo
- 1/2 Tbsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp of dried Rosemary
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. That's it! It will last in the fridge a few weeks in an airtight container !
To make the sandwich
I've created a video highlight on my page for the steps on this if you want to see it in action !
Ingredients for 1-2 sandwiches, you'll need
- An oiled pan, a spatula and a lid that fits the pan (if you don't have a sandwich griller at home)
- 1 green apple, washed and thinly sliced (I always keep the peel on)
- A couple small handfuls of spinach
- Rosemary Garlic mayo...you put on however much you want babe!
- Vegan Mozzarella slices, or shredded will work too.
- Your delicious caramelized onions you made
- Spread a generous amount of Rosemary Garlic mayo on either side of the Focaccia or bread
- Then, place a small handful of spinach down on top of the mayo
- Add in your sliced apple, usually around 5-6 slices. Make them overlap each other so there's a good layer of them so taste of apple doesn't get lost in the bread
- Spread the caramelized onions on top of the apple, about 2-3 tablespoons
- Top with Mozzarella
- Then, heat your pan to medium heat. Place the sandwich in the center and use your spatula to press it down firmly for the first 2 minutes or so. I know,...be patient it's worth it.
- Flip the sandwich gently using your spatula, cover with the lid and let it cook until lightly crispy and the cheese has melted
***If you have a microwave at home, you can put the whole sandwich in there for about 1 minute to melt the cheese first, then grill on either side the same as above ! Sometimes vegan cheese takes a little longer to melt than dairy cheese, so this ensures your cheese will melt !