Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
I LOVE Carrot Cake. I use to work at the cutest little cafe about twelve years ago and it was known for the Carrot Cake. It was always so yummy with lots of texture and flavor. Of course it wasn't vegan so I was determined to make one just as good that I could eventually sell at my (at the time) future Vegan Restaurant ... and I did! We would always sell so many of these Carrot Cakes at Easter time and I loved that because Carrot Cake really is a great spring dessert! Naturally, we think of cute little bunnies eating carrots in Spring too, don't we all!?
This Carrot Cake is loaded with all the good stuff. Warming spices, coconut, pineapple, raisins (or omit if you don't like them) and of course, carrots. Finished off with a delicious cream cheese frosting & some toasted coconut ! You can also sub chopped walnuts instead of raisins if you like a little crunch in your cake!
The cake itself isn't overly sweet, because the icing is very rich, so they are a good balance together
I've made this cake both in a Bundt pan, and a double layer 8" cake and both are great options.
Just be sure to always let your cakes cool completely before removing from the pan and especially cool before trying to ice. Otherwise your icing will fall off the cake and you'll have a mess! I put a quick little video on my Instagram Highlights on how to easily ice the cake if you need a little help with that! Follow me and watch at @melanieboudens . Hoppy Easter all!
Vegan Carrot Cake
Makes a 2 layer 8" cake OR 1 Bundt pan cake (9") - 8-10 big slices
Prep Time 20 minutes + 25 minutes to ice the cake
Cook Time 45 minutes
For the Cake
- 2 and a 1/4 cups of unbleached, all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup of coconut vegan yoghurt
- 2/3 cup of sunflower oil, or canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup of raisins (optional/ or sub for chopped walnuts)
- 2 cups of shredded carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350 convection, Grease 2 8" cake pans, or use a bundt pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, all the spices and the sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the pineapple, yoghurt, oil, coconut, raisins and vanilla extract
- Add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry, and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon. Just before fully combined, add in the shredded carrots and then finish mixing fully. The batter is very thick.
- Evenly pour the batter into the cake pans and smooth out the tops gently.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. For the bundt pan it will be closer to 50 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from the pans and icing.
For the icing
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese ( I like Tofutti brand or the Presidents choice vegan brand)
- 3 and 2/3 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- Using a stand mixer, or a hand held mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together on high for 1 minute
- With the mixer on low speed, add in the icing sugar 1 cup or so at a time. Once all added, add in the vanilla and beat to combine .
- If doing a double layer cake, place one of the cakes down onto your cake plate, place icing in the center, enough that it protrudes over the sides slightly. Add on the second layer. Add icing onto the sides and smooth out as you go. Finish off with adding and smoothing out icing onto the top.
- Top the sides and the top with toasted coconut and refrigerate until serving.
- To toast coconut, add about 1 cup into a medium size pan and turn on medium heat. Watch it carefully as coconut can burn quickly. Stir the coconut ever minute or so until it's all lightly browned. - Let cool before using on the cake.