Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This is one of my top three favourite soups. It's classic! How can you not love Broccoli Cheddar soup! This vegan version is simple to make and will surely please the whole fam. Pair it with your fav GYR Panino and you'll have the best lunch ever! It keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days so it's great for prepping lunches!
At GYR when making this soup, we always use to use the Earth Island Cheddar slices (half a package), chopped up for the cheese of the recipe, but I've also tried it with Vio Life shredded cheddar cheese and it was delicious. I think any meltable vegan cheddar would do well in it though.
To make it creamy without the cream, you'll remove roughly half of the soup after it's cooked and blend it in the blender, then pour it back into the pot. I don't recommend using an immersion blender for this step because the blender really gets it nice and creamy. Be sure to blend it really well so it's completely smooth before pouring back into the pot with the rest of the soup!
* Additional notes
- At GYR restaurant I would often also add a couple of diced fresh carrots to the soup as well
If you'd like to do this too, you'll add them in at the same time as the broccoli
- I recommend starting with 4 cups of stock. You want the liquid to be JUST under covering the broccoli before it boils. Adding too much liquid will give you a watery soup. You can always add more when you get to the blending part if you need more liquid to get it moving!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Makes 3-4 bowls of soup
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15-20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 medium sized white onion, diced finely
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 4 small bunches of broccoli, cut into large bite size pieces (roughly 7 cups)
- 4-5 cups of vegetable stock (you'll start with 4 and add more if needed)
- 1/3 cup of vegan cheddar shreds or slices (cut into chunks) + more for garnish
- Get all of your veggies prepped and ingredients ready to go. I always recommend doing this, especially if you're a beginner cook. It really helps make the process easier for you & more enjoyable!
- In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat, then add the onion and cook 5 minutes
- Add the minced garlic into the pot and cook 1 minute
- Then, add the broccoli, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, and 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Bring the soup to a boil, cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes, or just until the broccoli becomes tender
***Half way through boiling, add your cheese!
- Transfer roughly half of the soup (stock and veg included) to a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
**If you need more liquid in the blender to blend it, simply add another 1/2 cup of broth - 1 cup as needed
- Pour it back into the pot with the rest of the soup that's unblended.
- Stir well, taste to see if it needs anymore salt and pepper
- Top with more vegan cheese & enjoy hot!