Easy Carrot Lox Bagels with Cashew Cream Cheese
You may have had the non vegan version of this, which is made with marinated, smoked Salmon/Lox. However, we can achieve a similar silky smooth "salmon", aka Carrot, by boiling the carrot in some yummy flavors that pairs really well with a simple Cashew Cream cheese and of course, fresh dill & capers. If you make this recipe, I HIGHLY recommend making my homemade Vegan Bagels to pair with it. The difference between store bought bagels and homemade, fresh ones is night and day!
The seaweed in this recipe only gives the very slightest "fishy" or "oceany" taste to the carrot. You can always omit it from the recipe if you don't like it!
Carrot Lox with Cashew Cream Cheese
Serves enough ingredients to make 4-6 lox bagels
Prep Time 20 minutes + cashew soaking
Cook Time 10 minutes
For the Carrot Lox
- 1 large carrot, peeled, or two medium size ones
- 2 sheets of dried/baked Nori
- 3/4 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp of pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- Use a carrot peeler to peel thick pieces of carrot. Start with the skinny end, going down to the root end and using more pressure, peel thick slices of carrot ribbons . Do as much as the carrot as you can before it gets too small. Snack on the rest that can't be peeled anymore
- In a medium size pot, add in the carrot ribbons and the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, boil for one minute, then turn off and let cool
- Refrigerate (still in the "broth"), while you prepare the cashew cream cheese
For the Simple Cashew Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, soaked overnight (or boil in water for 5 minutes and drain)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice (fresh or bottled works)
- 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic (or powder)
- 1/2 tsp of granulated onion (or powder)
- 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp of refined coconut oil, melted (you can use virgin, but it may leave a slight coconut taste)
- 1/2 Tbsp of water
- Once your cashews have been soaked overnight, or boiled, add them into a high powdered blender with all the other ingredients, except for the coconut oil.
- Start with the blender on low speed so it can chop up the cashews well. Then turn off, scrape down the sides and add in the melted coconut oil and turn the blender on medium speed to get the cashews, oil and everything else blended smoothly.
- I recommend turning the blender off to scrape down the sides often, and if you have a blender wand to keep it moving things around so it all gets mixed in and smooth. This usually takes 3-4 minutes depending on your blender.
- Once completely smooth, cover and pop in the fridge for now.
To assemble the sandwiches you'll need
- Handful of fresh dill, washed and larger stems removed
- A few spoon fulls of Capers
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Fresh Vegan Bagels
- Toast your bagels
- Once toasted, spread a generous layer of the cashew cream cheese on top, keep it open faced
- Then add a few small handfuls of carrot lox onto the bagels
- Sprinkle about a spoonful of dill onto each side of the bagels on top of the lox, then add on about 6-8 capers to each side of the bagels